For today’s pasta I chose to make really nice tomato sauce. This recipe is inspired by my friend from Kazakhstan. When she visited me in Cyprus, she shared with me a secret, which makes tomato sauce really special, tasty and good in texture! Though I made changes to her recipe to make it low-fat and reacher in fiber and proteins, it worked out well and now this sauce is one of my favorites for pasta. Hope you will give it a try and tell me what you think.
When we were doing groceries last time we saw spaghetti 50 cm long, sold with discount. 50 cm! That’s a challenge to cook it without breaking! But I did it! And it was fun)
Do you break spaghetti when you cook? I personally don’t like broken spaghetti, I like it to be long!
Easy Vegan Pasta with Red Lentils
- 170 g Spaghetti (dry)
- 150 g Red Lentils (dry)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 pc Chili (dry)
- 5 medium Tomatoes 5
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 0.5 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 l Water to cook spaghetti and lentils
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 tbsp Dill
- Cook lentils in 300 ml water (1:2). Usually it takes about 10-15 min to cook.
- Cook spaghetti following instructions on the package.
- Meanwhile preheat the frying pan and add 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Add finely diced onion and fry till it is golden brown.
- Add chopped chili pepper. I use dried chili, you can use fresh or chili powder or skip this part. Matter of taste)
- Add finely chopped tomatoes. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add finely grated garlic (garlic paste). This is the most important part! Add as much garlic as possible! This will make sauce thick and viscous!
- Add turmeric.
- Once lentils are cooked - add it to the sauce, mix well and simmer for another 5 minutes.Now you can serve spaghetti!
- Add some dill and Nutritional Yeast on top (for "parmesan" kick)
Notes*To make the recipe WFPB skip oil (use splashes of water for frying instead) and replace regular spaghetti with whole-grain pasta.
Do you like this recipe?
If you like this recipe and find it useful, please share your experience in the comments below, or you can also subscribe to my Instagram, Facebook Page and YouTube channel! In Vizzini Journal Facebook Group you can share news from vegan world, get support and share your personal experience on the way to optimal healthy and fulfilled lifestyle.
I will also appreciate it if you will share this recipe with your friends. Thank you for all your support and for your interest in what I do!
Have a nice day!