For those who don’t know, sorbet is a type of ice-cream made of fruits, it is also called “Nicecream” in vegan community. News states that last month was the hottest July in Cyprus over the past 11 years. Oh, dear. August is still coming! People, our planet is boiling!
Very good time to be grateful for having a refrigerator! Some of us also can enjoy a conditioner – mine is unfortunately so old that all freon leaks out beside. So I am expecting a technician to come next week and make a temporary fix again. Well, on the other hand I can share experience how that is possible to survive at 35’C Cyprus heat without a conditioner!
What helps a lot is a fen, clean floors at home, wet curtains and cold shower 5 times a day 😀 What else? Cold Watermelon in a fridge and… delicious home-made vegan sorbet!
Nicecream (Vegan Icecream)
- 4 medium Bbananas (frozen)
- 0.5 cup Berries (optional)
- 1 medium Fruits (optional)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon (optional)
- 2 tbsp Nuts (optional)
- Mint for deco (optional)
- Peel and cut bananas into pieces and freeze them overnight (or for at least 4 hours).
- Frozen bananas blend until creamy consistency in a high-speed blender, using a temper. You have to do this fast, before bananas will start to melt. In the result you will get basic banana ice-cream of white colour. If you would like to make it flavoured - add half a cup of frozen berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries - whatever you like!). To get this deep dark burgundy colour I added half a cup of fresh cherries (without pits). I advise you to experiment and find your own favourite combination and colour!
- Serve home-made sorbet in a bowl topped with mint or fresh fruits: peach, apples ,mango, figs ... Cinnamon, chocolate and berries are also nice topping for this ice-cream!
P.S.: Info for vegans
Did you know that sorbet may contain eggs? Just for the case you are eating sorbet out sometimes. I discovered vegan ice-cream when I moved to Cyprus (3 years ago). Before I wasn’t aware about sorbet existence. As you know it looks like ice-cream, so I never paid attention to it. This was a knockout to discover that you can enjoy ice-cream (sorbet) almost everywhere in Cyprus. However, later on I had a really unpleasant experience – when we enjoyed sorbet with my nephew his eyes began to swell. We know that he has an allergy on eggs, so we asked the ice-cream seller if this sorbet contains eggs, and the answer was “yes”. I was always confirming that sorbet contains no milk. But since not everyone in Cyprus understands what the word “vegan” means, no one ever mentioned eggs! Now I am asking about both.
It does not apply to every kind of sorbet (never saw mango sorbet with eggs at least) but still it is better to be aware of such unpleasant possibilities.
Do you like this recipe?
If you like this recipe and find it useful, please share your experience in the comments below, or you can also subscribe to my Instagram, Facebook Page and YouTube channel! In Vizzini Journal Facebook Group you can share news from vegan world, get support and share your personal experience on the way to optimal healthy and fulfilled lifestyle.
I will also appreciate it if you will share this recipe with your friends. Thank you for all your support and for your interest in what I do!
Have a nice day!